Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Let Go of the Illusion of Control


I love the Kung Fu Panda movie bc it was one of those children's stories that was loaded with adult themes. 


The story was about a humble panda hero named Po who lacked the natural born gifts like claws, fangs, or venom to be a gifted fighter.  Many underestimated Po bc of what he wasn't born, but a wise old turtle named Shifu knew Po could be the best fighter of them all if he was trained.



Oddly the very one that gave Po the hardest time was a Lemur who also lacked claws, fangs and venom.  The Lemur was upset bc he invested his time in an arrogant panther that proved not to be the dragon warrior he hoped.  Once the panther received criticism for his lack of skill he went down the path of evil and blamed the lemur and master Shifu for his fallen destiny.  The Panther felt his actions were predetermined by the fate the two masters place on him, but the Panther never saw his flaws were the reasons he never advanced in life.



The driving force behind the Kung Fu Panther was Shifu noticing his successor , the lemur was not fully training others bc he had regrets about his first student's failure.  Before Shifu passed away. he told the lemur stop trying to control destiny, forget his mistakes, and train Po instead of judging him.  



As a kid I thought it was a kickass kungfu movie, but as an adult I was in tears when I saw this movie again.  I saw it for why it really is.  You see a lot of people write folks off bc they don't want to go thru the effort of doing the right thing and equipping them with the skills they need in order to be successfully. Therefore, if I don't show you, then I have security on what you don't know but need to know. It's a form of control for some psychopaths.

Shifu warned the lemur don't go down the wrong path and he listened.  The lemur acknowledged his students didn't fail.  The lemur acknowledged he failed his students as a teacher bc he didn't believe in them.  You can't tax people for what they don't know if you never took the time to show them how to do it in the first place.  

I remember now, this movie is why I became a master in training and development.  I feel like cinema is slowly awakening the side of me I forgot.  A visionary is inside of me I just have to overcome the fog that clouds my road to that creativity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Destiny 2 season 18: Release date, Arc 3.0,

  The current Season of the Haunted will end on August 23. The usual weekly maintenance happens at 6pm BST (10am PDT, 1pm EDT, 7pm CEST), so...