Saturday, December 30, 2017

Why was Firefly Cancelled? Finally an Answer



Many Firefly fans like myself always wondered why was the show cancelled all of a sudden?  I have finally solved the mystery.

In December 2002, Firefly was cancelled on its 11 out 14 episode season.  The show had a large fan base known as Browncoats, and the show seem to be gaining momentum.  Suddenly the show was pulled from Fox and the only way to watch it is re-runs on Syfy.

According to the Pittsburgh Gazette, Fox producer Gail Berman was the reason behind the show being cancelled.  She stated that having a business relationship with the show director and producer Joss Whedon was a main reason behind the show being pulled.  In the interview, Berman admitted pulling the plug quicker than she should have.  Berman stated:

"Canceling 'Firefly' was as difficult as anything I'd ever been involved in because Joss and I had been creative partners at one time ... I worked with him very closely on this particular show and when it didn't perform [in the ratings], having to cancel it was very difficult.

"If I had to do it over again, I might have reconsidered it but I'm not sure it would have changed anything," she said. "It was a numbers things. It was a wonderful show and I loved it and I loved working with him on it but that was a big show, a very expensive show and it wasn't delivering the numbers."
I don't know about you guys, but that seems like that Hollywood talk for I cancelled b/c I wanted to.  Seems like Gail and Joss had some history, and she cancelled the show b/c she could.  Ending a show over personal bullshit is a real disappointment.  

Unlike most shows, Firefly received a wrap up movie in 2005 called Serenity that concluded the series.  Seemed more like an apology for doing someone wrong.  Most of the cast has went on to have bigger roles like Gina Torres on Suits or Nathan Fillion on Castle.  Gina Torres did a voice over to Destiny 1 and Destiny 2 which is a video game that is "very similar" to the FireFly.  That being said, Firefly will live on the world of science fiction forever. 


Follow me on instagram - jetrecords266
Follow me on twitchtv - twitch.tv/jetrecords
Follow me on youtube - jetrecords226 or jetrecords266

No comments:

Post a Comment

Destiny 2 season 18: Release date, Arc 3.0,

  The current Season of the Haunted will end on August 23. The usual weekly maintenance happens at 6pm BST (10am PDT, 1pm EDT, 7pm CEST), so...