Monday, September 12, 2011

REPOST, Interview with Lead Actress of Homefront:Hannah Cabell

I caught up with one of my favorite actresses, Hannah Cabell.  Those of you who recently played the game 'Homefront' will recognize her as the empowering voice of Rianna.  Here is what Hannah had to say about being a voice over actress in the video game industry.















How did you get your first SAG/AFTRA voice acting job for video games?

Hannah: I have actually only worked under AFTRA contracts for video games - I don't know if it's a recent change, but in my experience AFTRA handles more of the interactive media side of the business. My first job was for 'Grand Theft Auto - The Ballad of Gay Tony'. I got that from an audition; Rock Star had me in for both vo and motion capture, but ended up hiring me just for the vo part of it.


Does it pay be a union talent in the field of video game voice acting?

Hannah: Yes - as with all the performers' unions, you can only do so many gigs before you're required to join a union. So even though the joining fees are very high for both SAG and AFTRA , it pays in the long run to join. And then (and more importantly) you're unionized, so you have someone looking out for you and your rights as a performer.


What is an average recording session for video game voice acting like 'Homefront'? Can you record some of these jobs from your own studio?

Hannah: I had a great time working on 'Homefront' - I worked on it for a little over a year, with many recording and mo-cap sessions, and it taught me a lot. Here's the basic sequence of events: the creative dept. sends out scenes beforehand, and then you get in a recording studio. The director and producers (and sometimes other folks) are there listening to you and coaching you through things, and you are in the booth, on the microphone, doing your best. Sometimes it's hard, in dialogue scenes, not to have another actor to work with, but our director, Navid, was great at putting me in the world of the game and the scene and drawing out what he wanted from me.

I don't have my own studio, so I can't answer that. I think it's really important to have the director there, and the producers, since in the end it has to be the product and feel that they want.

What percentage of your voice over work consists of video game voice acting with AFTRA contracts?

Hannah: A huge percentage of my vo work has been for video games.

Are many of these AFTRA video game voice acting contracts based upon ongoing work with past clients or does the work come from mainly new business and or referrals?

Hannah: I've only done GTA and Homefront, and they were both from straight-up auditions. They didn't know me or my work beforehand.

Do people hire you directly for your video game voice acting work or do they go through your agent?

Hannah: Through my commercial/voiceover agent.

It looks like the game 'Homefront' is sat up for a sequel. If developers pursue a second game or DLC expansion, then are you willing to return as Rianna?

Hannah: I hope so!! I'd really love to work with the guys at Kaos again, and Rianna has a special place in my heart. That would be great.

Finally, do you have any advice for people who aspire to be a member of SAG or AFTRA in pursuit of video game voice acting?

Hannah: I'd say put off joining SAG or AFTRA until you're sure that you'll get work, as it's expensive to join, and just because you're part of the union doesn't necessarily mean you'll get hired. And you can work a couple of jobs before being required to join. But just try to get in with the casting people who cast for companies like Rock Star and Kaos - do research, and try to get your foot in the door. It's great work, and a growing economy. It'll be here for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Destiny 2 season 18: Release date, Arc 3.0,

  The current Season of the Haunted will end on August 23. The usual weekly maintenance happens at 6pm BST (10am PDT, 1pm EDT, 7pm CEST), so...